Sunday 29 March 2015

Learning club... Focusing where it matters

Learning club started from the initial student focus group.  This was a group of random pupils from year 1 to year 6 chosen to do a baseline assessment. I met with them first in January to ask them the baseline questions. There was nothing remarkable about their answers then off they went back to class.

A couple of days later, one of the year 3 boys asked when Learning Club was meeting next.
He had come up with the idea to continue meeting as a group and seeing how they could help other children learn.  

Now bearing in mind the initial group was basically 2nd and 12th on the register, it truly was a random group and by no means chosen.

Since then we have met about four times.  

They gave their opinion on some ideas for visual feedback before I had discussed it with the staff.  Now this was quite interesting because the Learning Club had shown such insight into visual feedback that the teachers could not argue against its implementation.  Although I knew they wouldn't have objected anyway.

We met this week to discuss Learner Awards and how they could further promote dispositions.  They wanted to choose the 'Learner of the Week' this was too happen each week.  I asked how they would choose and they said they'd be on the lookout for good learning that week.  I asked about the pupils who aren't easily picked.  They said they'd keep a record of who had won.  If they felt there was someone missing out, THEY would encourage them to be a good learner that week by supporting them with learner dispositions.  That was a moment when I had a tear in my eye.
I'm not easily moved in school but that was a moment I'll remember for the rest of my career.

Learning club weren't overly impressed with the current Marbles in the jar reward system and wanted house awards for learning.  They asked for four jars, and when the children displayed learner dispositions they would win a brain token.  One said he'd be happy to cut out lots of little brains as awards but I think we'll stick to counters.

Learning club have made their own badges and are ready to roll after Easter.


No comments:

Post a Comment